The NYX Suede Collection Palette is a collection of 8 eyeshadows, each with a metallic or shimmery finish. The shadows are reminiscent of Stila’s: the texture is almost as soft, lots of pigment, easy to blend. Surprisingly no fallout. The palette is a great value; the whole thing is cheaper than one Stila shadow! (It’s $12 for 8 shadows x 0.06 oz. each; provided for consideration by NYX). Considering that I rarely do strong eye makeup (Safe is my middle name), this is an ideal palette for those few times when I want an eye-catching (har har) look. In the hands of someone more experienced (like Renee), this palette could have epic potential.
The shadows are packaged in a cardboard shell that stays closed with a hidden magnet. The top row contains the high shimmer and super metallic colors; the bottom row is less shimmery.
The full shiny, shimmery glory of this palette is revealed under the sun:
The shadows are best applied with a finger or a shader brush and then blended out with a fluffy brush. All but the white shade have multicolor shimmers, but the predominant shimmer that appears on the eye is noted below. The colors are:
- Shimmery white pearl
- Shimmery pale warm gray taupe with pale gold shimmers. Love this color! It mostly reads as a pale gold shimmer on the eyes, but the taupe base (just slightly darker than my skin) is visible in certain angles and lighting
- Shiny warm gold metallic frost (suuuper pigmented with just one swipe)
- Shiny “new penny” copper metallic frost (flashes gold at some angles; also suuuper pigmented)
- Matte soft, warm black w/ gold microshimmers. NYX calls this “Olive pearl with gold shimmer,” but that’s not how it reads on the skin
- Matte warm medium brown w/ gold microshimmers
- Satin cool black base w/ blue microshimmers (flashes charcoal grey-blue sheen). Weirdly, NYX describes this as “Forrest green pearl.” First, I don’t think Mr. Gump is a big eyeshadow wearer, and second, it’s definitely blue. The blue does lean turquoise rather than cobalt. The shadow’s potential would probably be maximized using a black cream base, but a base is by no means required
- Matte reddish brown w/ silver and copper microshimmers
Now for some FOTDs using a mix of the shades. (The only other eyeshadow used was a matte taupe to contour.)
Other makeup: Innisfree Water Glow Cushion in No. 23; Chanel Rouge Coco Shine in 92 Emotion
Other makeup: Innisfree Water Glow Cushion in No. 23 topped with Vita Liberata Trystal bronzer in Light/Sunkissed all over; gradient lip done with Innisfree cushion and Laneige Water Drop Tint in Raspberry Pink
Pros: Pigmented and easy to blend. Beautiful “statement” colors.
2 Replies to “Heavy Metal: NYX Suede Collection Palette Review + Swatches”